top of page

Signs of Damaged Pipes

As a landlord or property manager, you need to ensure that you can provide the basic services to your tenants. One of the most essential basic services is water. However, it is the pipes that the water flows through in your property that can pose the biggest risk to your tenants and your property if the pipes or old or not maintained well. Damaged or aging pipes can lead to floods, water leakage, mold and even harmful chemical exposure. Below are signs that your water lines might be damaged and needs to be replaced.

  • Water that is coming out of your pipes is brown or discolored: If you continue to see brown or discolored water coming out of your pipes, your pipes may be deteriorating, and they may need to be replaced.

  • Weak water pressure: Blocked pipes or small holes in the water lines can lead to low water pressure.

  • Moist spots: constant damp spots on the walls or ceiling of your rental units can be an indication of small or significant leaks. They can also lead to dangerous mold and need to be addressed right away.

  • Water does not stay hot: If your property’s hot water seems to be used up very quickly you may have any issue with your water heater or boiler.

Maintaining your water lines is an essential aspect of managing a rental property. Failure to take the right steps to ensure your water lines are properly maintained and replaced when necessary can lead to long term expensive issues including property damage, lost rent and legal action by tenants. Plan to have a trained plumber maintain and check your water lines on a regular basis. In addition, if you do find an issue with your pipes pushing off repairs by conducting short term fixes could cost you more time and money in the future.

This post is provided by RISSOFT Residential and Commercial Property Management Software, specializing in innovative and cutting-edge property management software for all 50 states. Request a demo or contact us today to receive more information.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this post in not intended to be construed as legal advice, nor should it be considered a substitute for obtaining individual legal counsel or consulting your local, state, federal or provincial


bottom of page